Windows 2008 IPv6

Hello,
I googled for a method to determine whether Windows 2008 is configured with IPv6. What I found in the Control Panel/Network Connections did not show me what I have. With the command line; ipconfig it only shows IPv4, yet I read that Win 2008 automatically configures it with IPv6.
Will route PRINT -6 give me this information? I do not want to force it to use IPv6 by using "route -6" The server is not mine.
Comments?



No take a look at my screenshot below. When you do an ipconfig /all it will show you all of your Network Adapters. If it shows Link-Local IPv6 address then it is enabled. Also if you see DHCPv6 then you know it is enabled on the network adapter. If you do not see these settings then you can assume that IPv6 is disabled on the adapter.



Windows Server 2008 does have IPv6 enabled on the Network Adapter be default. When you run "ipconfig /all" look for Link-Local IPv6 Address also DHCPv6. When you see these you know that IPv6 is enabled on that specific adapter.

If IPv6 is disabled you will not see the link-local address or DHCPv6.

Route Print will not provide this info it only provides the routes link IPv4 does.

Will.



Will, thank you. I'm working with 3 servers, on the known good/working server it shows; DHCP Enabled........Yes. On the other two it shows DHCP Enabled...No. So how could I enable it (if I may ask).
I could google it.



No take a look at my screenshot below. When you do an ipconfig /all it will show you all of your Network Adapters. If it shows Link-Local IPv6 address then it is enabled. Also if you see DHCPv6 then you know it is enabled on the network adapter. If you do not see these settings then you can assume that IPv6 is disabled on the adapter.



Interesting, I surely do not have what you indicated. I apologize for making a false assumption. Allow me to investigate further. I need to ask whether IPv6 is truely needed for this installation.



IPv6 can be enabled on the system but not enabled on the Network adapter. To completely disable IPv6 you do this from the registry, on the machine in question.

Disable IPv6 via Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

Will.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget