Windows 7, fix for several problems after an Acronis restore.

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 machine which the hard drive was failing so I replaced the drive and did a restore from the Acronis full backup. At first everything seemed great until the client started actually working. Hear are the symptoms...
1) Windows search does not find anything (and files are definitely there and accessible).
2) When I plugged the pc into a different network at my home office I get an error that says "windows cannot setup homegroup on this computer".
3) Cannot download files within Internet Explorer. If for example, I try to download a program and I click the download button, it gives the option to save, save as or run. No matter which option I select, nothing happens.
4) Windows updates do not work

So far everything else is running great, lol. I hate to have to do a clean install as this is ALOT of work on. I'm doing a repair install form disk and running chkdsk at command prompt.

I'm thinking about resetting registry permissions next.

Any suggestions?



Strange. I've always had good results with Acronis making a full backup and then restoring them.

If the repair install / chkdisk doesn't correct issue, I would try using System restore to a previous restore point next.

If that fails I would probably attempt to restore a second time and choose to restore the disk signature if you did not do that the first time.

Krompton



Strange. I've always had good results with Acronis making a full backup and then restoring them.

If the repair install / chkdisk doesn't correct issue, I would try using System restore to a previous restore point next.

If that fails I would probably attempt to restore a second time and choose to restore the disk signature if you did not do that the first time.

Krompton



it looks like the image was corrupted - is that possible?
you are doing the correct things for remedying it - but if they don't help - you may have to set it up from scratch

**sometimes i found running SFC twice helps - maybe that's also true for the repair? so try it



There were no restore points available prior to the day I restored.

I did a second Acronis restore from an even earlier date incase the backup was somehow corrupt but I ended up with the exact same problems EXCEPT the search did start working but only after running a chkdsk.

I replaced the pc and reinstalled from scratch.

Thank You!



Sorry you had to start from scratch but, sometimes that is the best if not the only, solution.

Krompton



Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget