Windows 7 - Windows Update error: "Cannot currently check for updates ..."

I have a Windows 7 laptop. I've run several antivirus products, no threats found.

When I try to check for Updates, I'm getting the error: "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

I've looked for Windows Update Service in the Services, but can't find it.

What could be wrong? Thanks



I checked "Installed Updates" and I don't actually see anything that's been installed since 2012, except for an Adobe Reader update that was installed today when I downloaded a new version of Adobe Reader.



I checked "Installed Updates" and I don't actually see anything that's been installed since 2012, except for an Adobe Reader update that was installed today when I downloaded a new version of Adobe Reader.



Never mind. I found the answer:(at an elevated command prompt):
net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv



SoftwareDistribution can get corrupt
but it's safe to delete its contents.
it will be rebuild the next time you run windowsupdate.
So it's safe to delete that SoftwareDistribution.old folder too.



btw when you delete the contents of SoftwareDistribution
it's also a good time to delete the contents of c:/windows/temp



Make sure when you post a question next time that all avenues have been tried before posting.

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget