Windows 8 Automatic Repair Loop

Dell XPS 8700 with 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drive

Windows 8 boot:1. Preparing Automatic Repair
2. Windows Ran into a problem (very brief)
3. Repeat

I've done some dilligence.
1. Legacy boot to that hard drive (same result)
2. Boot to Dell Diagnostics (passes all tests/extended tests)
3. Boot to repair disk/repair USB - Files loading then BSOD with ntfs.sys error
4. Placed HD as a secondary HD in another system running Windows 7 - that also BSOD's with ntfs.sys (I'm not even booting to that drive when this happens)
5. Booted to Spinrite (6) - Invalid Partition for Drive size - The partition exceeds the size of this drive as defined by the system's BIOS or BIOS extension
6. Boot to Acronis Drive Image doesn't find that drive, but some of the tools within DI show its there. Bottom line, cannot create image.


I highly suspect this is a Hard Drive issue. System is out of warranty and I have no way of restoring system to original state (no media, replacing the HD will not give me that restore option).

Any suggestions appreciated.



No, I don't think the drive is toast. But there's something terribly wrong with it. Or/and possibly the Dell.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The drive is recognized and can be tested on other machines. Only using DOS and not Windows.
The drive is not recognized on the Dell XPS. On any SATA port or with different SATA cables.

-------

Test to be done.

First. You'd need a USB caddy with SATA connections. Insert the drive into the SATA caddy. Boot your second machine and once it has started connect the USB caddy. Is this drive recognized in Windows?



Booted to Spinrite (6) - Invalid Partition for Drive size - The partition exceeds the size of this drive as defined by the system's BIOS or BIOS extension simply means that it is a GPT drive and not a MBR drive. SG has been really dragging his feet on the update to 6.1 or is it 7,0 he hasn't even added AHCI support and now NVME is showing its head.



You should clarify 4) - what are you doing to provoke this? Does it crash right on connecting it, or...?



As odd as this sounds, 4 is pretty clear.

I take the SATA drive out of the problem machine and add as a secondary drive to a working machine running Windows 7.
When I boot that machine, I get the "Starting Windows" message and then Blue Screen indicating ntfs.sys. I don't even get to the logon screen.

If I then disconnect that drive, the working machine reverts back to booting normally.



I should also clarify point 2 in Windows Boot.
2. Windows Ran into a problem and needs to restart.

Should be

2.Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you (xx %).

This screen is on for half a second and then the machine reboots. I had to watch it reboot a few times b/c the screen goes by so fast. The counter never gets above 0 %



>> I take the SATA drive out of the problem machine and add as a secondary drive to a working machine running Windows 7.
>> When I boot that machine, I get the "Starting Windows" message and then Blue Screen indicating ntfs.sys. I don't even get to the logon screen.

Are you sure that it is not the secondary drive (the one you added) becoming the primary drive and the message you are seeing is that because the added drive is trying to boot?

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget