Windows 8.1 - Icon for PowerShell

Hello,

In Windows 8.1 how can I place an icon for PowerShell on my desktop?

Thanks,
Steve



Sorry...missed that you're on W8...those are W7 instructions. I use Classic Shell in my W8 systems, so I'm not very familiar with the Metro interface, but these steps should work in W8:
Hover in the upper right to get the Search icon

Type power in the Apps box and you'll see Windows PowerShell on the left

Right-click it

You'll see Open file location on the bottom

Click it

You'll now see a folder on the desktop with the PowerShell shortcut in it

Right-click it and select Copy

Right-click anywhere on your desktop and select Paste

That should do it. Regards, Joe

Update: If you want it pinned to Start or the Taskbar, select that instead of Open file location in the 4th step.



Right click the icon -> Sent to -> Desktop (create shortcut)



Create a shortcut with following path (Which is default for PowerShell)..



Hi Steve,

Here's the procedure:
Start menu
All Programs
Accessories
Windows Power Shell (the group)
Windows Power Shell or Windows Power Shell (x86) (whichever one you want on the desktop)
Right-click
Copy
Click anywhere on your desktop and hit Ctrl-V (Paste)

That should do it. Regards, Joe



Hi Joe,
I'm in 8.1. Totally blanking out here, when I go to the start menu (the screen with all those big icons for programs) I don't see ALL PROGRAMS. When I right click on the Windows icon, I don't see ALL PROGRAMS. I know I should know better, but drawing a blank.



Thanks



It's easy to create a ShortCut as I mentioned earlier.. You could just go to Desktop, Right click > New > Select ShortCut

Then copy paste the path which I mentioned in previous post.. Click Next and the Finish..


Or just browse to following path (I guess you have installed the windows in C: drive) and copy the Windows PowerShell shortcut to your desktop...

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsSystem Tools

Let me know if you find any issues..

Share this

Related Posts

There was an error in this gadget